Are you looking for place to read full E-Books without downloading? You can also read and download new and old full E-Books. DOWNLOAD THIS BOOK FOR FREE
Getting There
How did I get there? I coach Gary Connery, stunt man and philanthropist. Gary is planning to run and base-jump across the USA to raise a billion dollars for children's charities worldwide. Gary and wife Vivienne are Global Ambassadors for Molly Bedingfield's international charity Global Angels, 'championing the needs of children around the world.'
Gary once base-jumped Nelson's Column in London to raise awareness for the Dalai Lama and the situation in Tibet. Molly had a life ambition to meet the Dalai Lama. Vivienne started networking to bring it all together. When she met Colin Mullan at a Dave Rogers' Life Shift Weekend, it emerged that he knew Richard Moore who had invited the Dalai Lama to be keynote speaker at a two-day International Conference on Children's Rights in Northern Ireland, entitled 'A Promise for the Future.'
Gary was summoned to Hawaii to start filming Indiana Jones 4, and I was in the right place at the right time as he generously offered me his place.
Beyond Words
In short, even to be near the Dalai Lama is amazing; to hear him speak is moving and inspiring; to be blessed as I was to shake his hand and personally experience the energy he transmits is beyond words.
For those who know Michelle, it is no surprise that she got hold of a press pass to the press conference and then, representing XL Magazine, was one of only six out of 50 to 60 journalists to be allowed a question.
What Can Entrepreneurs Do?
After headlining XL and what it stands for, Michelle asked the Dalai Lama, "What is the one thing entrepreneurs can focus on that will have the greatest impact in the world today?"
His answered without hesitation: "Education, (pause) but not of knowledge, of warm-heartedness." He went on to explain that if we teach our children about compassion and forgiveness, instead of just giving them knowledge, they will grow up capable of resolving their own conflicts.
He added that providing people with self-confidence was something entrepreneurs could focus on through effective training programmes. His Holiness explained that a lack of self-confidence often turns to frustration, which turns to anger, which turns to conflict. So reversing that cycle allows conflict to be resolved in non-violent ways.
Sustainable Giving
He stressed that it isn't enough for entrepreneurs to give away their money - they must ensure it is sustainable giving!
In his keynote speech, His Holiness reaffirmed this point and added the importance of respecting and nurturing "mothers in society" and "mother energy." He emphasised the importance of religious secularism, which he clarified not as believing in one faith to the exclusion of all others, but rather, following the faith that works for you while respecting all others. As he said of himself, "Buddhism suits me."
A Choice for a Better Future
The conference was hosted by 'Children in Crossfire' to mark their 10th anniversary. The organisation exists to make a significant and lasting contribution towards the eradication of poverty and gives children the chance to choose a better future.
The remarkable story of Children in Crossfire has its roots in what began as a tragedy and ended in a triumph of the human spirit to overcome violence and its negative associations. When only 10 years old, during 'The Troubles' in 1972, Richard Moore was shot by a rubber bullet at point blank range, hit on the bridge of his nose and was blinded. For Richard, this was a 'critical moment'! Amazingly, he has never allowed bitterness to stunt his positive attitude to life. "I learned to see life in a different way," is how he describes his remarkable acceptance of what, for most, would be a debilitating trauma.
Critical Moments
In his 35 years of blindness he has become a husband, father, accomplished musician and successful businessman. In 1996 came another 'critical moment', as he felt the desire to harness all he had learned and put it to the service of humanity - particularly for children who, like himself, have been caught in the crossfire of violence, as well as poverty.
Ten years after its foundation, Children in Crossfire is set to become a national organisation with an expanding outreach to Asia, Africa and Latin America. It is a remarkable testimony to the indomitable spirit of a man who turned personal tragedy into triumph and now wishes to bring healing and reconciliation to the world.
The Dalai Lama's Hero
Gripping Richard's hand, the spiritual leader of the Tibetan Buddhists said, "Whether you believe it or not, you are my hero, and a wonderful son of humanity. Despite your tremendous painful experience you don't have any anger or hate. You accept what has happened and keep your peace of mind. You are a good example and model."
Richard Moore embodies what His Holiness represents - compassion, forgiveness and reconciliation. Powerfully confirming this, Richard closed the conference with a surprise by inviting on stage the soldier, introduced simply as 'Charles', who had shot him.
I could not conceive of a more powerful symbol for those themes of compassion, forgiveness and reconciliation than the three of them together on stage receiving a standing ovation. There was not a dry eye in the house.
Blind Vision
Some time ago Richard decided to track down his assailant, and he travelled to England to meet him in order to forgive him in person. They became friends. This incredible story has now been made into a major BBC television documentary, Blind Vision (2007).
Richard Moore revealed how a speech the Dalai Lama gave in Belfast two years ago inspired him to continue the search for Charles. He had given up his aspirations of meeting the soldier until he heard the Dali Lama speaking about his story, without realising Richard was in the room.
"I was amazed at the compassion the Dalai Lama showed me when I told him my story when we first met," said Richard. "I was even more amazed when he spoke about me that day. He hadn't known I was coming and I hadn't known I was going. I thought that if the Dalai Lama considered my story important enough to tell people, that I could take the final step and write a letter to the soldier."
The Dalai Lama in Derry
Richard never thought he would see the day when the Dalai Lama would visit Derry, his home town, at his personal request. "When deciding who would be a good person to be our chief speaker, we wanted someone who would look at issues of compassion, human rights, forgiveness and peace. No one fits this description better than the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet.
"When I met Charles last year, I wrote to His Holiness to tell him. I ended by saying we were holding a conference and asked him to speak at it. Within 10 days he replied saying he was coming. For me, there's no one else who better encapsulates what our work at Children in Crossfire is about."
A Source of Hope
"It is wonderful to see the person who suffered and the person who caused the suffering become true friends. There is genuine friendship and happiness which is based on forgiveness," said the Dalai Lama. "I told Richard's daughters how important it is that their father's spirit of forgiveness and compassion is carried on from generation to generation. This is the third time I have met Richard. His spirit is always happy. If the same tragedy happened to me, whether I would act like him with such forgiveness, I don't know." The Dalai Lama said he hoped that Richard's story would be told to everyone as a source of hope.
Richard and Charles have now embarked on a journey of friendship to reach out even further and inspire others to make a difference in whatever ways 'best suit' us - and then ask them to act.
.Are you looking full ebook about this topicGet Full Ebook For This Article

